Qwiller Writing Room

Each week we give you writing activities based on a particular genre and invite you to share your writing with us to read, comment on, be inspired by and enjoy.

This is a place for all to share their stories.


Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Writing from within

We are going to experiment with a way to draw out your internal world in a creative way. Below is a piece of ‘free writing’ about the exploration of internal feelings. The phrase ‘I feel’ has been used to help access the internal world. You will notice I have used figurative language.

Figurative language is language that uses words or expressions with a meaning that is different from the literal interpretation. The use of figurative language prevents the writing from being over emotional and sentimental.

Example

As you read the example of writing from within, take note of how figurative language is
used to express feelings. Think also of how grammar, punctuation and correct sentence structure are secondary to allowing ideas to flow.

I feel the longing in my feet squeezing my veins gently like the rhythm of a heartbeat, the hole in my heart seeping out air at a rapid rate, the light that constantly burns in the tips of my fingers like a candle almost expired. I feel the pain sitting on your shoulder making you snappy, it sinks into my gut and sets up home, even though I scream it’s not welcome. I feel the juices flowing freely past the mechanics of me within, delighting the senses, awakening them, making me hum vibrations.

I feel the echo of your voice from the ether soothing my sad eyes, mellowing the hollow gap in between breathing. I feel the soft sticky flesh of you like mango caressing my skin cooling the humidity. I feel the flow of the breeze whispering to greet me at the door and let me in.

Did you notice how sound and visual imagery, created through techniques such as similes, metaphors and onomatopoeia, give a sense of the internal world of the writer? The writer expresses feelings without needing to repetitively use words associated with describing feelings like angry, happy, depressed, frustrated, etc.

Exercise


a          Free write your feelings right now using figurative language to describe the emotional impact they have on you. Through your language try to capture your emotions and the impact they have on you on some level.

You might like to start with ‘I feel’ but you don’t have to. You could start with a heading like ‘Black Rocks’ or ‘Heavy Rain’ or ‘Music Crushing’. Let the headings inspire the focus of your writing.


Write for five minutes continuously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment